Crime and PunishmentNewsUgandan

Breaking News: ICC sentences Ugandan Lord’s Resistance Army leader to 25 years

Former child soldier Dominic Ongwen committed crimes against humanity as commander in cult

The international criminal court has sentenced a former militia leader and child soldier from Uganda to 25 years in prison after he was found guilty of war crimes and crimes against humanity in a landmark judgment.

The presiding judge, Bertram Schmitt, said the panel of judges had considered sentencing Dominic Ongwen to life imprisonment, the court’s harshest punishment, but had sided against it due to the defendant’s own personal suffering.

Ongwen was convicted in February on charges of murder, rape, sexual slavery, abduction and torture committed as a commander in the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), a violent cult which waged a bloody campaign in Uganda and neighbouring countries from the mid-1980s until only a few years ago.

The court rejected defence arguments that because Ongwen was abducted by the LRA at the age of 10 he had committed any crimes under duress.

The 41-year-old was “a perpetrator who wilfully brought tremendous suffering upon his victims, however, also a perpetrator who himself has previously endured extreme suffering at the hands of the group of which he later became a prominent member and leader”, Schmitt said on Thursday as he announced the sentence.

Residents of Lukodi village in Uganda listen to the sentencing of Dominic Ongwen.

The case is one of the most momentous in the ICC’s 18-year history, but has raised difficult questions of responsibility and blame. The tribunal’s decision will have a significant impact on future prosecutions for crimes against humanity, experts say.

Lawyers for Ongwen, the first former child soldier to be in the dock in The Hague, argued that he should get no more than a 10-year sentence because he was traumatised when the LRA abducted him at the age of 10.

ALSO READ  President Buhari To Journalists: Media Must Be Sensitive To Nigeria’s Current Situation

In his first appearance in December 2016, Ongwen said he would plead not guilty, telling the court he was “one of the people against whom the LRA committed atrocities” and should not be on trial.

Dominic Ongwen
A picture of Dominic Ongwen taken from Interpol’s website in January 2015.

However, judges described Ongwen as an extremely capable fighter and commander who planned attacks carefully, assessed risks, and was repeatedly praised by other commanders. They said he did not face the threat of death or serious harm if he disobeyed orders, and did not take many opportunities to leave the LRA but rather rose in rank and position.

Led by Joseph Kony, who claimed to be religiously inspired, the LRA waged war across five countries in east and central Africa. The group relied on the abduction of largely defenceless villagers and refugees, including children, to provide labour and combatants.

Girls were forced into sexual and domestic slavery while boys were forced to take up arms.

Most of the charges against Ongwen focus on attacks on refugee camps between 2002 and 2005. One of the worst involved a four-day raid by the LRA on camps in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in December 2009, in which about 350 civilians were killed and another 250, including at least 80 children, were abducted.

NewsWestAfricans

NewsWestAfricans


All Right Reserved. This material and any other digital content on this platform may not be reproduced, Published, Written or Distributed in full or in part, Without Written Permission from NEWS WESTAFRICANS Media.

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please turn off the Ad Blocker from your browser to continue browsing our site.